The name ‘badri’ literally translates into the name of tree called jujube which used to cover this entire region during the ancient ages. Badrinath dham is known for being one of the holiest homes of Lord Vishnu that is perched at an elevation of 3,300 metres above sea level and within the scenic village of Chamoli. The presiding deity here is that of Lord Vishnu who is worshipped in the form of Lord Badri after whom the entire region is named. Sitting next to the holy river of Alaknanda this colorful temple is not only an important part of the Chota Char Dham yatra of Uttarakhand but is also one of the most significant pillars of the all India char dham yatra along with Rameshwaram, Jagannath and Dwarkadheesh as well as being an important divya desams out of the 108 in India.
History of the Temple
Badrinath dham, just like the other Chota char dham sites were revived and reestablished as a pilgrimage Matth by the 8th-century saint and sage Adi Shankaracharya. The temple is set against a majestic backdrop of the imposing and overlooking twin snow clad peaks of Nar and Narayan. Due to the beauty this place represents it was chosen as a meditative and penance spot by numerous sages and saints. This temple has found its mention in Bhagwat Puran where this place is referred to as ‘Badrika Ashram’. The exact establishment date of this holy temple is not defined or recorded anywhere, however there are numerous stories referring to this temple that date back to ages ago. One such legend states that this is the place where the pandava brothers are believed to have spent some time before heading on to their journey to heaven or swargarohini. This is also believed to be the spot where after descending from heaven the holy river Ganga divided into two streams of Alaknanda and Bhagirathi.
Opening and Closing Dates
Just like every other char dham site of Uttarakhand Badrinath dham also shuts down during the 6 months when the temple is covered in a thick layer of snow and makes accessibility impossible.
Opening Dates: The temple kapat opens up for darshan to the general crowd during the holy eve of Akshaya Tritiya that takes place during the month of either late April or early may.
Closing Dates: The temple kapat shuts down for darshan during the auspicious day of Dussehra which generally takes place during the winter months of either late October or early November.
Winter Home: when the temple doors are shut down for darshan then the idol of the presiding deity is shifted to his winter home at Joshimath amongst great zeal and enthusiasm. The idol is placed and worshipped here for the duration of 6 months and made available for people who decide on taking the winter char dham yatra of Chota char dham. The Vasudev temple here serves as the resting place for the idol.
Luxury Hotels (3 Star)
01. Hotel Sarovar Portico
Situated in close proximity to the main temple of Badrinath, Sarovar portico is famous for being one of the most luxury hotels in the entire region of Badrinath. This is a 4 star hotel and offers sheer luxury along with a comfortable stay. Not only is the entire hotel centrally heated but every guest room is designed in style and keeping the aesthetic of the place alive.
- The hotel is situated at a mere walking distance of 10 minutes making your darshan even more comfortable and convenient.
- All the rooms have cable TV connection which will allow you to have a relaxing and a leisurely time.
- You will be provided with 24 hours of hot and cold water along with 24 hours of efficient room service and power backup.
- The rooms and attached bathrooms are sparkling clean and in the perfect condition.
02. Hotel Snow Crest
This hotel is known for offering some of the most stunning views of the surrounding lush greenery and the snow-covered twin peaks of Nar and narayan. The hotel is completely centrally heated and each room is designed using modern aesthetic and contemporary styles that will appeal to the sensibilities of the guests. The most interesting feature about this hotel is the fact that it is located at just a distance of 500 metres from the main temple of Badrinath dham.
- The hotel offers 24 hours of power backup service which is a crucial factor of availing any of the hotel’s services.
- The rooms are well maintained, clean and cozy along with sparkling clean attached bathroom.
- In case you will be requiring a doctor at any hour we also provide you with a 24 hour of doctor on call services.
- There is availability of hot and cold running water facility which can be availed for 24 hours.
03. Hotel Narayan Palace
Just like every luxury resort this hotel is also situated in close vicinity of the main temple of Badrinath. All the necessities for a comfortable stay are available here at the most reasonable rates. You will be able to get a taste of the real Badrinath by just staying at this pristine hotel which is made in an elegant manner.
- The rooms come with not only comfortable beds and blankets but there are also some elegant and comfortable furniture available inside the room.
- The hotel offers complete restaurant facilities with dining as well as conference facilities that offer top notch interiors.
- In case you want your clothes to get cleaned and do not wish to do it yourself then the hotel also offers laundry services for your convenience and offers you a happy and successful stay here.
- Every room has a cable color TV which allows you to relax in a more leisurely manner.
Budget Hotels (2 Star):
01. Jagirdar Guest House
If you are looking for a budget stay at Badrinath during your pilgrimage journey then you have the option of staying here which is located at a distance away from the crowd right on the Narayan parbat. This guest house offers deluxe rooms and tents from which you can pick your choice. From the rooms to the tents every option here is neat and clean and offers the perfect opportunity to do meditative activities.
- The food offered at this guesthouse is impeccable and allows you to savour some delicious European cuisines along with Indian food items.
- All the rooms are facing the mighty Himalayas and offer some of the most breathtaking views of the surrounding mountain tops.
- The rooms come with an attached clean bathroom that offers 24 hour running hot and cold water.
- The entire establishment is designed in a quaint and antique architectural style that will make you feel like you have stepped into the bygone era.
02. Bhajan Ashram
This is considered to be the perfect place for pilgrims to stay since they offer all the necessary facilities at reasonable rates and its proximity to the temple of Badrinath. Every room here is comfortable and offers various impressive facilities like a seating area and a huge cupboard along with a staff of hospitable and welcoming people who are always ready to help you out in case you may face any problems.
- The rooms are equipped with state of the art modern facilities like 24 hour running hot and cold water.
- In case you are travelling with your car and making the journey by road then the hotel provides you with a parking and a walking area for your convenience.
- Every room in furnished with comfortable seating and a cozy double bed that provides the perfect sense of comfort in every way.
- The rooms are spacious and luxurious along since it allows a massive amount of natural light in it.
03. Dwarikesh Hotel
This deluxe hotel is situated in the badri valley and consists of 32 rooms consisting of all the modern facilities and state of the art amenities. The hotel is located at just a walking distance of the main temple dham making it extremely convenient for the pilgrims on their holy yatra. The rooms here offer scenic and panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and lush greenery of the Neelkanth Peaks.
- In case you want to savour some delicious food then the hotel also offers the facilities of a complete restaurant with a varied menu of food times.
- The rooms offer a safe deposit box where you can contain and keep your precious luggage.
- Parking facilities are available for all types of vehicle in case you are travelling by your own car.
- The hotel has 24 hours of power backup facility which is a boon in most parts of this region.
Government Guest Houses:
01. Gmvn Badrinath Government Rest House
Situated inside the main town of Badrinath this rest house is an ideal accommodation option for pilgrims travelling on budget. They provide economy class hotel rooms which are not only affordable but are also comfortable. Each room is sparkling clean and the staff here is extremely helpful.
- In case you require medical attention then the hotel has the convenient facility of doctor on call.
- It is rare that a good hotel at cheap prices comes with an attached bathroom and running hot and cold water.
- The hotel is located at a mere distance of 3 kms from the village of Mana which can be an ideal option in case you decide on going for nearby expeditions of the area.
- The food served here is made under hygienic conditions and in a clean environment.
02. Hotel Kedar Dev’s
This hotel is located at just a distance of 10 kms from Karnaprayag and this hotel offers expansive views of the lush and thick green forest covering that offers incredible tranquility to the guests staying here. People going to not just Badrinath but also going to Auli, Valley of flowers, Joshimath, Hemkund sahib etc can choose to stay here.
- You will be getting to choose from a variety of rooms to suit your budget and comfort the best which range from executive suites, super deluxe rooms, deluxe rooms and semi deluxe rooms.
- Every room is equipped with a telephone and a cable tv to offer you a sense of luxury.
- All the rooms also have an attached clean and sparkling bathroom which offers running hot and cold water 24 hours.
- The entire hotel is made accessible to handicapped guests and made in a way that makes it easier for physically handicapped individuals.
03. Shri Om Kuteer
Conveniently located close to Badrinath dham against a backdrop of the Nilkantha Peaks this place is situated at a walkable distance from the main temple. Each room is made cozy and comfortable with linen sheets and warm blankets for the convenience of all the devotees and offers them a peaceful place to stay.
- You can decide which room you want to stay in that suits your budget that range from economical to luxury.
- In case you are travelling with your own car or vehicle then the hotel also offers you the facility of free and secure parking within the premise.
- The rooms can be chosen from a set of 8 rooms that are – 1 suite, 2 double deluxe rooms, 1 triple room, 4 four bedded family room, 1 dormitory consisting of 12 individual beds.
- The hotel also offers delicious langar services to the pilgrim devotees staying there.
Badrinath Yatri Niwas
The Garhwal Mandal Vikas Niwas or GMVN offers travellers and pilgrims the opportunity to have a peaceful and a comfortable stay at the best available rates. This is a great way of going for if you are looking to travel on a budget. They have large dormitories lined with beds and comfortable bedding, hot water supply and an overall a clean environment.